In the 1860’s a small group of people calling themselves Baptist were meeting with other groups in a log schoolhouse at the southwest edge of Ashmore, IL near a place called Gum Springs. They decided to move their meeting to the Dudley School, a log schoolhouse located two miles southwest of Ashmore. Shortly before the Civil War, they moved to a nearby frame schoolhouse. On February 22, 1868, Enon Baptist Church was organized with a charter membership of five. Services were first held at “lamp liting” time on Saturday evening, or whenever someone was available, usually once a month. By the 1920’s, half-time preaching was often the rule. Full-time preaching began in 1939 and the first full-time pastor came in 1943. Sunday School was held from the beginning.
Enon Baptist Church is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, the Illinois Baptist State Association, and the Westfield Baptist Association.
Enon Baptist Church relies on the Scriptures as its authority in matters of faith and practice. Its doctrine is consistent with the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message. We support the furthering of the Gospel through the Cooperative Program and the special offerings promoted by the SBC.
The first church building, dedicated on February 8, 1875, was a brick building where services were held for seventy years. A classroom was added in 1935. When a windstorm damaged the building beyond repair in 1945, a new building was constructed and dedicated on May 15, 1947. An educational unit, including a baptistry, was built and dedicated in 1970. A 3,000 square foot fellowship hall, equipped with 25 tables and 200 chairs, was completed in 2005. Carpet was added to the sanctuary in 1955 and padded pews in 1986. Air conditioning was added to the building in 1973 and stained glass for the front doors was installed in 1994. The parsonage, a three bedroom, one bath brick house, with a full basement was constructed and dedicated in 1957.
A cabin was moved to the church site in 2000 and is used for a “Free Rummage” ministry. The cabin is open on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month. Gently used clothing and other items are available to the public without cost.
The church is located in a rural area, in-between the towns of Ashmore and Charleston, just east of the Embarras River. From Ill. St. Rt. 16, turn right onto N County Road 2250 E, then left on E County Road 880N. The church, and historic Enon Cemetery, are on the right.